Long Island

 What do I mean when I say ‘“I’m from Long Island”?


Long Island is a fish-shaped island, its head just across the East River from Manhattan, its tail (the North Fork and South Fork) 120 miles east, sitting in the Atlantic Ocean.  The island is never more than 23 miles wide.


The island was formed by a glacier.  The North Shore is glacial moraine, very rocky and hilly. Long Island Sound, to the north of the island, was carved out by the retreating glacier.  The South Shore is out wash plain, very flat terrain.


Brooklyn and Queens, two NYC boroughs, occupy the western end of the island.  Most people think of “Long Island” as Nassau and Suffolk Counties.  Nassau is very  suburban, as is western Suffolk.  Eastern Suffolk is more rural, with farms and wineries on the North Fork.  The South Fork is more touristy — think Montauk and the Hamptons.


There are several smaller islands that are included in the general description of “Long Island”.  Jones Island and Fire Island, for example, are barrier beaches along the South Shore.  Shelter Island sits between the North and South Forks ...

When’s Long Islander says “the island”, they mean somewhere in Nassau or Suffolk.  When they say “the city”, they mean Manhattan.


So if I tell you I live on the island but I used to work in the city, you understand my reference points ...


My family lived in central Nassau when I was born, but we moved to northwestern Suffolk when I was 8.  So I’m very much a North Shore girl.  I moved to Brooklyn when I got married, and later we moved to Queens.  Now I live on the South Shore, just a short drive from Jones Beach.


And yes, I have a very distinct Lawn Guyland accent ...



Comments

  1. Helpful explanations even to us "natives". I was born in Queens (Arverne), then moved to the Bronx when I was 5 months old. I have never been to the Rockaways, go figure. I have a cousin in Little Neck (in walking distance of the Queens/Nassau border)and have a cousin in Nassau. Also had a cousin in Suffolk. I have experienced very little of Long Island (as in the non-City part) and need to fill in that gap one day. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please come.

      Someday I’ll attempt to explain the difference between Levittown and Great Neck ...

      Delete
  2. The older I get, the more I understand the geography of your area. I couldn't say I know much, but I know much more than I did 20 years ago.

    I suppose it's like trying to explain LA versus OC versus the Inland Empire to people not from CA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lot of land is form by glaciers. My area is also.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful geography lesson! Funny, often times, when I mention to someone that I'm a New England native, they say "That's odd, I don't hear a Boston accent." Makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday