The rituals of mourning ... again

It is incumbent upon Jews to remember the souls of our dearly departed. Long after the funeral and the official period of mourning there are ways in which we remember. Each year on the anniversary of a loved one's death (their yartzeit ) we light a candle that will burn for 24 hours. And the Kaddish - the mourners' prayer - is recited in the synagogue.

Several times during the year - most notably at Yom Kippur - there is a special service called Yizkor. During the service we remember our loved ones.

And then there's the custom of visiting the cemetery. The custom is to make a visit in the weeks before Rosh HaShanah. You visit each grave, leaving a pebble on the headstone so others will know you've been there. You recite prayers - Kaddish if you have a minyan (quorum ), other prayers if you do not.

So today I took my parents to the cemetery where my mother's family is buried. My mother needed to fulfill the rituals. And I wanted to see my grandfather's grave.

My grandfather died in 1943. I've seen the grave countless times. But today I wanted a picture of the headstone.

I want my Rabbi to read the Hebrew inscription.

Inscribed on a gravestone is the deceased's name and the name of his or her father. We're working on my aunt's headstone right now and I want to make sure they get everything right. Easier to correct a blueprint than an engraving...

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday