Ground Zero 5/3/11

A day late and a dollar short.

I travel through Ground Zero every morning on my way to work.  But yesterday I didn't go to work.  So I missed all the excitement -- all the media set up to broadcast, the crowds chanting U-S-A! U-S-A!Strangers hugging firemen and police officers. Flowers and balloons stuck in the fence around the site, chalk slogans scrawled on the sidewalk (today I got chalk dust on my jacket when I inadvertently leaned against a wall.)

Today was business as usual.


But not entirely.

Most days 9/11 isn't on my mind during my commute.  It's always in my subconscious, but not something I think about as I walk from the subway to the PATH train.  It's just a construction site, a temporary inconvenient configuration of street and sidewalk through a major transit hub.

But since Sunday I've been doing a lot of flashing back 9 1/2 years.

I missed all the excitement that day, too --- could have been in Manhattan but fortunately spent that horrible day in an office on Long Island.  My friend Shlomit told me I had  an angel looking out for me.

9/11/11  is on a Sunday ... guess I'll miss all the excitement that day, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday