Saturday 9

 

Animal Crackers in My Soup

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.

1) Do you eat soup all year round, or do you consider it a seasonal dish?

I eat it all year, but mostly during colder weather. 

2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods?

Corn on the cob, watermelon, and my caprese salad (cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil in a balsamic vinaigrette)

3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never? 

It depends on the type of soup and whether the crackers are gluten free. Tomato soup begs for crackers.  Chicken noodle (Campbell’s makes a great gluten free version) does not require crackers.

4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful?

I am not a matchmaker.

5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen? 

Shampoo, conditioner, anti frizz spray. Air dry my hair.

In colder weather I use the blow dryer and a blow out spray.

6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank? 

I just blogged about it, actually.  We went to a festival in NYC where I got to taste a variety of adult beverages.  And wound up feeling a bit under the weather. Stayed clean and sober at Citi Field Wednesday night, though the Mets are enough to drive anyone to drink …

7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer?

No.

8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?

No.

9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now?

Not unless we’re going to McDonald’s.


Comments

  1. One cold day, I made tomato soup and grilled cheese. Hubby likes crackers in his soup. I added some avocado chunks to mine and really enjoyed it. Your hair sounds like mine. I am getting closer to my trip to Israel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What anti-frizz spray and blow out spray do you use? My hair is a crazy frizz mess most days. I had a great product that worked and they quit making it. It was a spray oil that I would scrunch in my hair, but I can't remember the name of it. The product I use as a finishing product just makes my hair wet right now. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato soup does indeed beg for crackers. Isn't watermelon just the greatest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also an air-dryer for my hair. It gets tricky in winter but I generally put a hat on which I take off in the car and put back on to walk into school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment