Of health and mobility
Back in December 2024 I mentioned a friend’s medical issues. Just a year older than I am, she was living alone when she had a medical situation that landed her in the hospital, then in a rehab facility. I don’t think I mentioned it, but our friend never went home, she went from rehab to assisted living. Right now she’s back in rehab, she took a fall and broke her arm. She’s going to sell her house in a few months, there’s no point in keeping it when she’s physically unable to live in it,
Drew’s sister is still in a rehab. She was supposed to be released to an assisted living facility, but she developed another medical issue.
Wasn’t it just a few years ago we were dealing with these issues for our elderly parents? Go back a few years and you’ll see my posts about Drew, his sister and his elderly uncle.
I’ve reached an age where they automatically give me the “senior discount”. When my grandmother was my age, she was an old woman — not just the perspective of a child, when I think about her physical and mental condition in her 60’s … I’m too young to be old like that.
I guess that’s one of the reasons I’m so focused on physical fitness, on exercise, on yoga.
I just found out that the yoga class I’ve been taking all summer, from the parks department, the class that ends next week, starts again in mid September, to run through December. Of course I’m going to continue. But I was also planning to take yoga if the school district offered it as an adult ed program …if it’s not on the same night, I might do both …
I am sorry about your friend. I am so glad you are doing some health things to keep you i better shape. I need to do the same thing. I hope you can take both classes.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your friend. It must be sad to have to sell her home. I have been doing strength training with bands. I need to build stamina, so I need to get back to the gym. I could walk around the neighborhood, but I would rather be in air conditioning.
ReplyDeleteI'm watching the ceremony at Citi Field (on TV) right now and seeing team members and others associated with the 1986 NY Mets.Lots of grey hair. It is heartbreaking seeing some of them, such as Ray Knight (?) (in a wheelchair). The boys of summer have become the old men of old age. You' do well to consider your physical fitness, speaking as someone in her 70's.. I still do exercises I learned at a falls prevention course I took in 2015 but (my fault) not as much as I should.
ReplyDeleteI’m old enough to remember the 86 Mets. We were also much younger then,
DeleteOh good, I'm glad you can continue the yoga class. And then it'll probably run in the winter and spring, too.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I'm too young to feel the aches and pains I do, but then realize, maybe I'm not, I turn 69 this month. It would help me very much to lose weight. I go back to my doctor (went this past week) in 6 months, so I should make some progress by then. The women in my family, both sides, live quite a long time. My mother was 86. She did fall too often, but no broken bones, and I went over every day to check on her. I wish I didn't have to change insurances, my old one provided a credit card to use at a gym of my choice. I enjoyed that.
ReplyDeleteI will encourage you to do what you can.
Delete