The annual pilgrimage

 Guess where we went last night?

Hints.

The view from the parking lot.



Turn and look the other way and see a landmark.


That’s Arthur Ashe Stadium,  when we drove through Flushing Meadow Park we had to deal with US Open traffic headed to Arthur Ashe on our way here.

A couple of more hints.



I think you may have guessed. Our destination:


We are devoted fans.  This year the team is breaking my heart!  But since the tickets were free (I got the vouchers for donating blood) …

Interesting night.  There was a giveaway at the gate, fans received a fanny pack.


As if I didn’t have enough Mets gear …

 It was Women’s Night in honor of the 19th Amendment, so instead of their usual walk up music some of the players had their wives or girlfriends choose a song. 




You always see planes around Citi Field. They take off from LaGuardia (which is virtually next to the ballpark) and fly near the stadium.





I love this next shot — during the national anthem there was a short burst of fireworks, and it looks like the plane is flying through the fireworks.






After dark the planes were directly over the stadium. Those lights at the top of this photo are on a plane.




Reminded me of that scene in the original Men in Black.


That’s Bernard Gilkey. Played for the Mets 1996-1998. 

Sigh.  I kind of miss Shea Stadium.  To paraphrase Darryl Strawberry … Shea was a dump, but it was our dump …Citi Field was built in Shea’s parking lot …

I got a good look at all the retired numbers.  Next year they’re adding Gary Carter. I’m wondering if they’ll also honor broadcaster Howie Rose, who will retire at the end of the season, 





We were right near one of the TV cameras.


The Queens Crew entertained, there was a mascot race (one mascot for each of the 5 boroughs), fireworks during mayhem.  And we sang Dolly Parton’s  “9 to 5” during 8th inning karaoke.







Sorry, no photos of Mr. Met. Or Mrs. Met.  I saw them, of course, but couldn’t get a good photo.  Did you know Mrs. Met was just elected to the Mascot Hall of Fane? 

The gluten free girl got to eat chicken tenders and fries!  And Mr. Softee soft serve in a helmet. And I brought home a gluten free cookie.

Oh yes, of course.  The game. The Milwaukee Brewers were in town.  They’ve got the best record in baseball.  Sigh.







The Brewers trounced the Mets 8-1. 


But there was something unusual at the game:  a squirrel on the field!




I think the little guy was the star of the night …



We stayed until the bitter end,  of course.  Then took the Belt Parkway home, right past JFK, where we could see planes landing — one looked like it was going to land on the highway.

Reminded me of that scene in Last Play at Shea.  McCartney landed at JFK and somehow made it to Shea in time to close out Billy Joel’s concert. 

It’s 11 miles:


Here’s the story.



And the song,






Comments