Intrepid

 Among the museum memberships that Drew enjoys is a membership at The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.  The USS Intrepid, a WWII aircraft carrier, is now a museum located at Pier 86, 46th Street and 12th Avenue, on the West Side of Manhattan. 

One of the perks of membership … complimentary tickets to the annual Summer Beer Wine and Spirits Festival.

Explore the world of wine and mixology with friends as you enjoy your favorite libations. Summer Tasting Fest is your all-access pass to a wide variety of emerging and renowned breweries, wineries, and spirits from near and far. Sample a range of beverages throughout the evening while enjoying live entertainment, delicious food, and interactive games.

With over 100 samples available, this event is a great opportunity to discover new brews, wines and spirits. Engage in conversations with brewery representatives, sommeliers, and master distillers to learn more about your favorite drinks and the craft behind them. Whether you prefer local beers or international wines, there's something for everyone to enjoy. Local food vendors will also be on hand, serving mouthwatering dishes (additional cost applies) that pair perfectly with your drinks. Don't miss out on this incredible experience and secure your spot today! Tickets are nonrefundable. Event is rain or shine.


You may recall that we planned to go last year but there was a problem with our tickets, an we wound up in Chinatown instead,

This year, different story. You have to be at least 21 to attend the event.  We arrived at the opening of the festival, went through security, and got our wristbands.There are two different color wristbands, one for most attendees and a second color for designated drivers. Designated drivers pay considerably less than the rest of the attendees because they’re not allowed to drink.

The event is held on the pier on a Friday night. The museum is closed, but you can still see the Concorde on the flight deck.


I think we may have to go back soon, when the museum is open, so we can get another look inside.

There are all sorts of booths with beer, wine, cider, whiskey, and any other alcoholic beverage you might imagine. You can get a sample of every one of these drinks. You may purchase additional quantities of these drinks. There are also other vendors, including food,  skincare, a windows salesman, and I think I even saw someone selling jewelry. Just like any street fair.

I took pictures of this booth because it was extremely interesting and also a little naughty. Not safe for work.



The things that amuse me.

I am a very occasional drinker and I am also a lightweight. In fact I’m not supposed to drink at all lately, but I figured one night of sampling. A few beverages was not going to hurt me. I tasted Prosecco, Irish cream liquor. Peanut butter, flavored tequila (very useful as a topping for ice cream) And a few other adult beverages.

Drew liked his bratwurst so much that he bought a second sausage to bring home.

I was so excited that one of the food vendors advertised that they are gluten-free. They make the most incredible gluten-free empanadas, crispy and just a bit greasy.

 But these  days I don’t usually eat fried foods.

So you can imagine what happened. I drank, I ate, and then I spent about 20 minutes with my head down, trying to recover.

I guess I’m not as young as I used to be

Drew bought the most delicious sangria. We tasted it, and it was light, refreshing, fruity, and potent. I knew he’d want to take some home.

I should note that we walked from Penn Station to the Intrepid. We went up 7th Avenue through Times Square in the Theater District to 46th St., down Restaurant Row through Hell’s Kitchen to get to the museum. It was about a mile and a half.. We walked back from the museum to Penn Station. So I got my exercise. And we got to see all the usual city sights — the hot dog carts, the guys selling “NY” caps and tote bags, the homeless guy begging for money for “weed” (it’s legal here), the street performers and the costumed folks looking to pose with you — for a price. Lots of folks in costume for an anime convention at the Javits Center.  Typical NYC.

I saw something unusual in Penn Station,  actual pay phone. There used to be banks and banks and banks of pay phones in the station in the years before cell phones were common.  Now there is only one.


We had a wonderful time and I came home exhausted.

We are planning to go again next year. I can’t wait.

Comments