The 1%

It’s estimated that about 30% of the US population is eating a gluten-free diet.  But only 1% of the population has Celiac disease.  Another 1% have gluten sensitivity, which is different from Celiac, with different symptoms.  The others are mostly following Keto or Paleo, two trendy diets.

This is not what I meant when I said I wanted to be part of the 1%.

I’ve cleaned out my pantry and my freezer, I’ve restocked with gluten-free groceries.

Eating in restaurants is more of an issue.  You don’t always know what’s in your food, after all.  Some places have gluten-free or gluten-friendly menus.  Others do not. I am getting into the habit of looking at the menu before we go out.

We got take out from the Greek place last week.  I ordered kebabs over rice.  It turned out to be rice pilaf, which is a mixture of rice and orzo pasta.  Next time I’ll order the lemon potatoes instead.

This weekend we’re headed to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate a friend’s birthday.  They’ve got a gluten-friendly menu which even includes gluten-free cheesecake.

I’ve got this …

Comments

  1. Yes, you do have this. May need to question restaurants about certain things before you get eating out to a kind of routine. Although I much rather would want to eat out in a local restaurant, some national chains ) have these menus. Olive Garden's I'm familiar with but it is gluten sensitive and I don't think it would work for you; it's not prepared in a gluten free setting. I wasn't aware of Cheesecake Factory's (we don't have one) gluten free offerings and I just looked at it. Impressive. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just going to take time. You're doing great. And, more importantly, I'm sure you're feeling a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday