Dietary restrictions

 When I was growing up my mother kept a kosher home. 

That meant following certain rules about food.  Certain foods — pork, shellfish — were forbidden.  Other foods were classified as “meat”, “dairy” or “pareve”, meaning neutral.  You can’t mix meat and dairy at the same meal.  Pareve foods can be eaten with either meat or dairy, but …if you cooked carrots and potatoes with the brisket, for example, the vegetables became “meat” and leftovers cannot be served with a dairy meal.  In a kosher home there are two sets of dishes, pots and pans, one set for meat and one for dairy. You cannot use dairy plates to serve meat, or visa versa, lest a plate become contaminated. 

During Passover, leavened foods are forbidden.  No bread, no cake, no pasta.  You have to find substitutes, like flourless cake or gluten-free noodles.  And you need two sets of dishes that can only be used during Passover.  You don’t want bread to contaminate Passover foods.  

Yes, Jews understood about cross contamination long before scientists did.

After my grandmother died, my mother no longer saw the need to keep kosher at our house, except during Passover.  I follow what my mother did, I observe the dietary restrictions of Passover. 

So I’ve been dealing with dietary restrictions and cross contamination awareness my whole life.

Why do I mention this now?

Because I have been diagnosed with celiac disease.  I was stunned.  The doctor says I probably had it my entire life, but just didn’t recognize the symptoms.  He’s probably right.

There are no medications for celiac disease.  You can ease some of the symptoms with Peptol-Bismol.  But the only “cure “ is to maintain a gluten-free diet.

It’s now “Passover” 365 days a year.

I’m not happy about this, but I can do it.  

Comments

  1. Speaking of something coming out of nowhere....a bright spot here is that people are a lot more gluten free aware now. But (I know a little about this because an inlaw has had many digestive issues and has followed a gluten free diet - I'm not sure she still does) gluten lurks in so many places and it's going to be a learning curve (I know you already know this.) I wish you the best of luck. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. At least there are many gluten-free options around nowadays. It still sucks, but you don't have to start from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so sorry about the celiac! I hope a cure is found soon. So many suffer with this. I keep a kosher home, its how I grew up and I probably always will. Downside:: I have 4 million sets of dishes. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of pareve. I know you can be gluten free.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that you have celiac. It's really a nasty booger. As Liz said, there are now many gluten free options. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday