Wednesday Medley



It's time for the Wednesday Medley!


1. It's National Fig Week! We sing about figgy pudding in the carol We Wish You A Merry Christmas.

♫ ♪ Now bring us some figgy pudding
Now bring us some figgy pudding ♫
♪ Now bring us some figgy pudding
♫ And bring it right now ♫ ♪

Ever eaten figgy pudding? Or its close relative, plum pudding? How about cooking or baking with figs? Or plums?


I like figs, I suppose.  Do Fig Newtons count? I've never had figgy pudding.

But I do eat plums.   They are one of my favorite summer fruits.


2. It is also Intimate Apparel Week.

Lace push-up balconette underwire bra and matching thong? Or the comfort of practical and machine washable 97% cotton with 3% Lycra?

Alternate question for male lurkers: Boxers or briefs?





For me, it's all about comfort.  Here's something I wrote back in July.  Chub Rub.

(I liked the shorts so much that I bought some tights from Snag Tights.)



3. And it is National Animal Shelter Awareness Week. Have you adopted an AniPal®?


Meet Redford.  He's a self-rescued kitty.



There's a pond/wooded area about half a mile from my house.  People dump unwanted cats at the pond.  We suspect Redford was dumped there.  A full-grown tom, he showed up at our house one cold, snowy day a few years ago...and quickly became a member of the family.

(As you can see, he really liked to climb all over my Corolla.  He doesn't climb on my Prius, guess it's not as much fun.)


And then there's Drew's cat, Duchess.







Duchess was born in an animal shelter, and found her forever home with Drew when she was a kitten.  She's my baby!

One of the sweetest cats we ever had, Mr. Kitty, was also a self-rescue.  He was a kitten when he showed up in our yard.  I'm fairly certain he was dumped at the pond, I once saw his doppelganger  at the pond.

My daughter Jen would always say that Mr. Kitty was her boyfriend.






Our two self-rescued kitties were good friends.


We had Mr. Kitty for 16 years. He was a real sweetheart.  He was my father's favorite cat; he died a few months after my father passed away. 

I think Redford still looks for his pal.




4. National Nachos Day. Credited to Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya who combined corn tortilla chips with melted cheese and sliced jalapeƱo peppers.

Any recipes you've invented? Or tried-and-true dishes that you can make by heart?



I'm not much of a cook.  I can do the basics, but I'm not creative. I've been making spaghetti with meat sauce since I was in my teens, so I don't need a recipe.  but if I go beyond the basics, the cookbook has to be nearby.


5. Happy Birthday, Opal Kunz! (1894 – 1967.) Opal was an aviatrix at a time when women were discouraged from flying. In 1929, Opal raced in a transcontinental "powder puff derby" in a borrowed airplane. Her beloved 300-horsepower Beech Travel Air was ineligible as it was too fast and powerful; therefore, "inappropriate for a woman."

It seems we have all had such moments in our lives when we are held back because we are women. What's one of yours?



Only my entire career....

In 1988, then-Arkansas First Lady Hillary Clinton made her first appearance on Good Morning America.  She was not identified as the wife of Governor Bill Clinton.  In 1987, she became chairwoman of the newly created ABA Commission on Women in the Profession, and her 1988 appearance on morning television was in that capacity, her topic was sexism in the legal profession.


I'd graduated from law school in 1984, and was quite familiar with Mrs. Clinton's topic.  In fact, while I was a student, my law school presented a lecture by then-District Court Judge Maryanne Trump Barry, in which she encouraged the female students to stand up to sexism in our chosen profession.


(Yes, the issue is bipartisan, isn't it?)

My worst experience?  I gave birth to my daughter Jen in 1990, and took six weeks of maternity leave.  I was treated very, very differently than a male co-worker who was out of the office for six weeks because he broke his leg.





6. Please share with us something interesting about your week.




The weather forecast calls for snow showers Friday and I am  NOT ready for winter weather!!!!!!!

Speaking of felines...did anyone see the Giants/Cowboys game Monday night?  I'm not a football fan, so I didn't watch the game, but I did see the news reports yesterday about the black cat that ran onto the field...





Comments

  1. Of the three, Duchess captured my ehart.. She is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It been a while since I done any question and answer things. I have two cats

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like all the cats in my family were "self rescues". My SIL found a box of kittens under her car one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures of your kitties, especially Mr. Kitty. We had a rescue cat years ago that was just as large. He was a beautiful tabby with white paws and amazing green eyes. We called him Cowboy and he was just the biggest sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the kitties are adorable. I used to have a Mr Kitty (he was Abyssinian one of the largest domestic breeds. Mrs. Kitty was a torti they got married and had mr kitten, He was a yellow torti very odd in color. He was born deaf
    some reason vet could not explain. Mrs. Kitty was a very tiny kitten had to
    bottle feed her, found her in a ditch Mr. Kitty was also a rescue.
    I had them both over 16 yrs. Mr. Kitten wasn't so lucky being deaf, he snuck
    outside and got hit by a car. Rescues are the best have a little
    petite kitty (sweet pea) and 2 dogs I rescued from previous abusive
    family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr Kitty must be 3.5 Angelicas!

    Male co-workers receive promotions but always rise to the level of their incompetence.

    I do not know which was worse. Seeing the terrified kitty on the football field or inane comments from the broadcast team.

    Bob: Steve, it's evading tacklers....just look at those moves!
    Steve: That's right, Bob! A spunky little trade acquired from Carolina!

    Get it? Carolina Panthers. Actually I just made that part up. But you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday