another this and that, Thanksgiving edition

By the time this weekend is over, I will have eaten three full Thanksgiving dinners and countless leftovers.

I'm not expected to cook anything for my family's celebration.  Instead, I am always expected to provide a considerable amount of baked goods from our favorite Italian bakery.  Rainbow cookies, anyone?

Drew does all the cooking for his family celebration, though if I have the time, I might prepare something. maybe something with brussel sprouts?

Something a bit scary happened when I was at the bakery last weekend.  I usually park in the lot, but there was a spot open on the street, right in front of the store.  I got into my car and decided to send a text before driving away.  While I was texting...a man opened my car door, as if he were planning to get into my car and drive it!   His car was parked right behind mine...though how he could mistake my little blue Prius for his red SUV I don't understand.

So the holiday season has officially begun. Drew will be happy -- I don't let him play Christmas music on the car radio until after Thanksgiving.  I just don't like rushing the season.

I noticed that this year Hanukkah overlaps with Christmas.  First candle is December 22.  Because the Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar, Hanukkah can happen at any time from the end of November until the end of December.  Remember Thanksgivukkah?  The Jewish holiday coincided with Thanksgiving in 2013, and everyone had to have a menurkey (a menorah shaped like a turkey).




For some reason, the menurkey photos from 2013 keep popping up in my Facebook feed.  It was an interesting mix of holidays, though.

guess I should close my ramblings with a song.  Bing Crosby has the perfect song for today.



Happy thanksgiving, everyone.

Comments

  1. Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving, my friend. I cook/bake, the guys clean up. Its usually just us three, and we don't go anywhere/drive anywhere, although this yr. my husband and son will head over to Jimmy Shu (a local diner) and pick up a Thanksgiving meal and deliver to my mother in-law and her husband (long story but she is not allowed at our house-her doing not mine.) My son will also help in the kitchen there, they always help--part of giving back to the community that we live in. My family live in Fl and we have never been to a Thanksgiving with them, all of nearly 32 years of marriage and never spent the holiday with my family.

    I suppose that man was perhaps distracted? I hope the scare wasn't too bad, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you. I had my first Thanksgiving dinner back on the 15th (a tradition at my job, although it isn't what it used to be, alas). Today, my husband and I will have my son and my autistic brother in law over. Husband does 90% of the food - I do 90% of the cleanup, lol. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't cook for Thanksgiving, either. So scary to have someone try to get into your car. I won't do Christmas music as much as possible. Too many years at the evil toy store has ruined most Christmas music for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday