Saturday 9

 

Poor Little Fool

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Poor Little Fool (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Ricky Nelson sings of a girl with "carefree devil eyes." Are your eyes your best feature? If not, what is?

Yes, my eyes are my best feature, but they’re usually hidden behind my glasses.

2) "Poor Little Fool" literally arrived at Ricky's doorstep. A pretty girl knocked on his front door, and played and sang her original composition for him. Who has most recently knocked on your front door (or rung the bell)?


The most recent person at my door was a campaign worker.


I live in New York’s 3rd Congressional District.  Yes, I live in the District previously represented by the infamous George Santos.


The special election to replace him is scheduled for February 13, with early voting to start later today.  All eyes are on this election, both sides have spent millions of dollars, and I am certain everyone in the tristate area is tired of hearing about Tom Suozzi and Mazi Pilip. 

If you want to know who I’m voting for click here.

3) That girl was Sharon Sheeley. A teen model in Los Angeles during the 1950s, she met many of the early rock stars at promotional events. Elvis encouraged her to follow her heart and start writing songs, so she did. Who have you advised recently? Did they take your advice?


It’s my job to hand out advice.  And most people listen to me.


4) With the success of "Poor Little Fool," Sharon gave up modeling and concentrated on music. Her songs were recorded by singers such as Richie Valens, Glen Campbell and Johnny Rivers. How many different occupations have you tried? Which was your favorite?

 I had several summer jobs during high school and college, but nothing that I’d want to do my whole life.  The best was when I worked at the beach as a cleaner/ maintenance worker.   Or maybe it was the summer I worked in a cosmetics factory …


I was still in high school when I decided to go to law school.  I graduated from law school 40 years ago, I’ve been practicing law ever since.  

5) Ricky Nelson was the son of Ozzie and Harriet and brother of David Nelson. They began performing together as a family with their radio program The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. They took the show to television in 1952, where they were referred to as "The Most Famous Family in America." What TV family would you like to hang around with?

The Petries from The Dick van Dyke Show.

6) While Ricky eventually became the audience favorite, he wasn't initially a likely candidate for stardom. A producer described him as "an odd little kid," shy and small for his age. In those early days, big brother David was more outgoing and considered a natural actor. Thinking back to your preteen years, were you more like David or Rick?

 Rick.

7) Ricky never got over his shyness. He often closed his eyes as he sang on camera or before an audience because it helped him battle his nerves and concentrate on the music. Fan magazine oohed and aahed over his beautiful long lashes and young girls fantasized about Ricky closing his eyes before leaning in for a kiss. Who was your big pre-teen crush? 

My first was Davy Jones, then later I fell for David Cassidy.

8) In 1958, when "Poor Little Fool" was #1, American women were shopping for Italian-inspired footwear. Heels were lower, and the leather was textured and less shiny that the popular patent leather of years gone by. If you were to go shoe shopping today, what would you be looking for?  

Comfortable but attractive shoes.  I can’t wear heels anymore, too many problems with my knees and feet.

9) Random question -- Which of these parties sounds like the most fun: a) one you host yourself; b) one at a friend's home; c) a surprise party in your honor?

I want to host.

  



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 

Comments

  1. Early voting starts today (February 3)! I have been following that special election of yours closely.

    When you host your party, be sure to invite your friends, the Petries. They love to sing at parties. (I watch way too much TV.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What made you want to become a lawyer? We are getting tons of political mail now. I usually vote by mail. I never was into high hills. I hurt my lower back in my early 20's and that was that. Comfort is always important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We aren't hearing too much about the special election now that the air strikes in Syria and Iran have taken place. I hope the news lets us know how it turns out. Seems we've all hit the age where comfort in footwear is king.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 I can imagine all the campaign money coming in because of the narrow lead in the House.
    #4 Summer jobs were where I learned what jobs I didn’t want to do.
    #5 Yes! That would be a great family to be neighbors with.
    #8 Ditto for me it is my back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Petries are an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your job history is so interesting. I think I have read about your cosmetics summer job before. I think that sounds so interesting.
    Looks like we will be coming to your house for this party. ;) Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have made a decent lawyer, but didn't go that route. I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great story about the teen model who became a songwriter. Now I want more information about her. (I'm sure you'll be glad when that election is over.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a crush on Bobby Sherman in Here Come the Brides television show! Whenever anyone knocks on my door, I go out the kitchen door, and have them come to the carport gate to talk to avoid the dog and cats fussing or getting out. The last person was the girl across the street selling me her hen's eggs. Ricky Nelson was more in my brothers' time, all I knew him for was Garden Party in the '70s.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday