I’m really starting to hate this

Last week Drew and I realized we hadn’t spoken to our friend F since June.  When Drew called her, F’s housemate told us that F wasn’t home, she was in a rehab facility.

F’s housemate owns a dog, a 50-pound mixed breed, part pit bull.    The dog bit F on both hands, causing serious damage.  And, of course, the wounds got infected.  She spent 10 days in the hospital, and she’s in rehab until she can get mobility back in both hands.

We visited her on Saturday.  She’s in a small nursing facility, where the rehab patients and long-term residents are housed together.

 Visiting her was not a comfortable experience.  I still think of nursing homes as a place for elderly people, for my parents’ generation.  And while F isn’t the first of my friends to spend time in such a facility, it’s still disconcerting to see someone just a few years older than I am in such a place.

I guess we’re all getting older.

But that beats the alternative.

Comments

  1. Yikes. It's good you called or you never would have known. I hope F gets better soon. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How terrible. I hope your friend is continuing to heal. I can understand some of the feeling you had when you visited. Back in 2018, one of my cousins' wives had to go into a nursing home after a severe stroke, and I visited her there. She was only a couple of years older than me. It is hard to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday