Storm chasers

 Years ago, when Jen and Becca were babies, we lived in Queens, in a 5th floor apartment overlooking the Van Wyck Expressway.  From our balcony we could look south and see the control tower at JFK airport.  If we looked north and really, really tried, we could just make out the very top of the walls at Shea Stadium.  If we were watching a Mets game on tv and it began to rain at Shea, I’d get up and close our windows.

I was thinking about those days the other night. Drew and I were watching the Mets game, but the umpires stopped the games and the ground crew rolled out the tarp in anticipation of the impending thunderstorm.  I checked the weather app  on my phone and realized that the storm was moving west to east, and would reach our Long Island home 20 minutes after wreaking havoc at Citi Field.

So we became “storm chasers”. Our living room has a big picture window that looks out to our covered patio and the back yard. We turned off the tv, shut all the lights, opened up the windows and watched the thunderstorm.

Comments

  1. Nice that you had the warning. I hope watching the storm was enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loved weather from the earliest age. He still will stay up to watch a good thunderstorm. He also consults his weather app (My Radar) quite a lot. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father loved watching storms. He always told Mr how beautiful lighting was.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday