Jewish holiday time again

Today is Purim!


Purim is a minor Jewish holiday, based on the Biblical story of Queen Esther.  The holiday has a sort of Mardi Gras/Halloween feel to it, with costumes, feasting and drinking involved.  

You'll recall that the Bible tells how King Ahaseurus of Persia grew dissatisfied with his Queen Vashti, and sought to replace her.  How Esther was chosen from among all the eligible maidens of Shushan.  How Esther's uncle Mordechai foiled a plot against the King.  How the King's evil advisor Haman plotted to kill all the Jews of Persia.  And how Esther, at her uncle's bidding, intervened and save the lives of her people.

The focus of the Purim festivities is in the synagogue. Everyone is expected to dress up in costume to hear the reading of the Megillah, the Book of Esther. And whenever Haman's name is mentioned, the congregation is expected to make noise -- by stamping their feet, clapping or using noisemakers -- to drown out his name.

Friends are supposed to exchange baskets of food, usually cookies or pastries.  The treat associated with Purim is call the "hamantash".  Hanantashen are triangular cookies, usually filled with fruit jam. The reason they are triangular?  It is said that Haman wore a tricornered hat.

In previous generations, children would often dress as beggars and go door to door asking for pennies.  They'd sing:

 Today is Purim

Tomorrow no more

Give me a penny 

And show me the door!

These days (or at least, pre Covid) you'd be more likely to find children at a synagogue carnival, playing games and winning prizes -- especially live goldfish.  I brought home more than a few goldfish in my day, and so did my daughters.

And then there's the feasting and drinking.  It is said that you're supposed to get so drunk you can't tell the difference between Haman and Mordechai.


Today is Purim, and we party.  Tomorrow we start preparing for Passover, which is just one month away.

Comments

  1. I have never been a synangogue goer but when my Mom was alive we did go for holidays, and it was so much fun to do all that yelling and foot stomping when the Megillah was read. A memory of long ago. As a teen I used to bake hamantaschen and haven't in years. I had just spent the last half hour online deciding, last minute, to make them. Still not sure I will (so out of practice with scratch baking) but we'll see. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure they’ll come out fine. I bought mine in the supermarket. My grandmother used to bake them from scratch.

      Delete
  2. Sound like a fun holiday or celebration.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You'll recall that the Bible tells..." And that's where you lost me. Nope, I don't know the Bible. At all. (Non-religious family. Well, New Age-y, if that counts.)

    So, I wish you a happy Purim (or whatever the proper salutation is), and hope you feasted well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A