Saturday 9

 

On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to 
answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

Saturday 9: On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe (1946)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Judy Garland sings about the train whistle and wheels. What sounds make you happy?

Well,  a “songbird” likes music …

But my current favorite sound is the purr of my kitten.  Shadow found her forever home with me in October.



 I love her catitude.

2) She tells us that, since she loves dreaming of train travel, she must have "a little gypsy in her heart." How about you? Do you often dream of visiting faraway places?

I enjoy travel and don’t get to do it nearly as often as I’d like.  My most recent adventure was a Caribbean cruise.  We made port in Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Costa Rica, Panama and Cozumel.






3) Judy sings about a future when she's "old and gray and settled down." At what age do you consider a person is old?

When I was 20, I thought 40 was old.  At 40 I thought 60 was old.  Now I’m in my 60’s … I don’t feel old.

4) This song is from the movie, The Harvey Girls. Filming was a time of stress for Judy. She was appearing before the cameras by day (she sprained her ankle in a scene where slips down a hill), recording the soundtrack by night, and dealing with lawyers regarding her divorce from composer David Rose. Yet watching the movie, none of the tension shows. Do you work well under pressure?

Some of my best work happens under pressure.


5) Judy relaxed on the set by knitting and would make blankets and caps for the children of crew members. Do you knit?

I never learned to knit.  I learned to crochet a long time ago, and I’m thinking about starting again.
 
6) Judy admitted she had a problem with tardiness. Do you strive to be prompt?

I’m usually early.
 
7) In 1946, when this song was on the radio, cigarette cases were very popular. Since these metal cases were standard issue in the Army during WWII, many soldiers got into the habit of using them and continued to after the war ended. Women often carried fabric or leather cigarette cases that closed with a clasp like a coin purse. In the 1940s, elegant cigarette cases were a fashionable gift but today, they are largely forgotten. Did you ever carry one? Do you know anyone who did?

I don’t smoke, I’ve never smoked.  My mother and two of my aunts were smokers, and I’m sure they had cigarette cases,
 
8) Also in 1946, bikinis appeared for the first time on runways in Paris. How often did you don swimwear during 2022?

Believe it or not, although I love the water, I never went swimming during the summer of 2022.  But I made good use of the thalassotherapy pool aboard ship during our cruise.

9) Random question: Thinking of your past romantic involvements, were you truly in love with one of them, some of them, or all of them?

I think I’m going to let the past remain in the past,

Comments

  1. I totally agree with the age thing.
    You have traveled more than me, so that is awesome.
    Your kitty is a cutie! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really cruised, just an overnight trip, but I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try a river cruise....I've taken several river crises and one ocean cruise and loved the river cruse much more...fewer people, for one thing!

      Delete
  3. I think I saw that movie. Sad that Judy Garland never got a chance to get old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been on a cruise. Sometimes I have daydreams of going to live on a cruise ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the kitty is so cute! I commuted by train when I was at Rutgers but, it never got old for me. I am a train fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cruise sounds grea! I would like to take another cruise. Your kitty is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The age we think of as old keeps moving up as we age. But now, I know I am a little old lady. There is no excuse nor any escaping it. Lol
    That cruise sounds Heavenly. I'm going to look up that water therapy thinga.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday