Another this and that

 So Becca has started dress shopping.  She fell in love with a dress.  Then she fell in love with another, completely different dress.   The wedding is set for July 2024, so she’s got plenty of time to keep looking before she has to make a decision.  It’s stressful, but also exciting. 

One of the reasons she chose a summer wedding … she had a friend whose bat mitzvah was supposed to be in February, but the party had to be postponed a month because of a blizzard.  She didn’t want to worry about bad weather ruining her wedding,

When Drew planned his birthday party (we’re celebrating his 65th on Sunday) he made sure to have a backup date in case of snow.

Yes its birthday season again.  Drew’s birthday is February 7 and mine is February 18.  We do a lot of celebrating, because many restaurants will give discounts or coupons to help celebrate a birthday.   Places like Benihana, IHOP, Baskin Robbins … yeah, we enjoy.

This is a special birthday for me.  No, it’s not a typical “milestone birthday”.  It’s more significant than that,

18 years ago, in February 2005, I received some horrible news.  A cancer diagnosis.  I had surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.

And here I am, 18 years later, not “cured” but … they never say “cured”, they say “no evidence of disease.”

18 years.


In Hebrew the number 18 is represented by the same letters as the word Chai.

And Chai is the word for life.  

Good medical care and the grace of G-d got me through that horrible time and gave me back my life. 

So if I tell you I am celebrating my 18th birthday this year … I am sure you will understand.

In one of my favorite musicals, Fiddler on the Roof, Tevye arranges the marriage of his eldest daughter, and celebrates the match in a tavern, with much music and dancing.   Among the troubles he and his friends and family are experiencing, they find reason to celebrate life.

I am also celebrating life.  So won’t you join me and Tevye?  L’chaim!  To life!

Comments

  1. Happy 18th birthday to you, then. It's interesting how this seems to be birthday season for many. Not in my family, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A