Saturday 9

Flipper

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme. 

Saturday 9: Flipper (1964)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Flipper ran for three seasons, from 1964 to 1967. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan?

Yes of course!

2) Brothers Sandy and Bud consider a bottle-nosed dolphin, named Flipper, their pet. Do you currently share your home with any animals?

Duchess is my baby.



3) Bud and Sandy's dad was Chief Warden Porter Ricks of the fictional Coral Key Marine Preserve. In reality, the show was filmed in Miami and Key Biscayne. When were you last in the ocean? Which ocean was it?

I live on an island.  Long Island.  I'm never more than a few miles from the Atlantic Ocean.

Jones Beach is one of my favorite places.




4) There was no one single "Flipper." In close-ups, the role was played by a dolphin named Susie. While Susie was good at interacting with people, she had trouble with stunts, and sometimes a male dolphin named Clown was brought in for action sequences. Do you consider yourself more social, like Susie? Or are you more athletic, like Clown?

I am in no way an athlete.


5) Without looking it up, do you know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise?

No, I had to look it up.  
Dolphins tend to have prominent, elongated “beaks” and cone-shaped teeth, while porpoises have smaller mouths and spade-shaped teeth. ... Generally speaking, dolphin bodies are leaner, and porpoises' are portly. Dolphins are also more talkative than porpoises.


6) Flipper wasn't just a TV pet. He was an industry! During the show's run, Flipper comic books, coloring books and puzzles were very popular. As an adult, do you entertain yourself by reading comics, coloring, or completing jigsaw puzzles?

I read comics and sometimes I use an app for an adult coloring book on my iPad.  I like puzzles but haven't done one in ages.

7) The Flipper lunchbox was also a big seller. It came with a Thermos topped with a red cup. Do you own a Thermos?
 
Not anymore.


8) In 1964, when Flipper premiered, it was up against The Outer Limits and The Jackie Gleason Show. If those were your only viewing choices, would you watch the family show about the dolphin, the sci-fi anthology show, or the comedy-variety show? (Or would your rather flip through a magazine?)

Ooooohhhh....The Outer Limits.....

9) Random question  -- Which would you be more comfortable explaining: how a car engine works, the current IRS tax brackets, or the rules of baseball?

I actually earned 6 credits in tax law.  I still prefer to leave that sort of business in an accountant's hands.  But I'll be more than happy to explain the fundamentals of baseball to you.  So looking forward to Thursday, when the season actually begins...


Comments

  1. knowing, understanding, tax law... kudos! Duchess looks so pretty, and self assured. She knows she looks good in a tiara, and knows she deserves the silk pillow and fancy dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tax law comes in handy when my accountant talks to me.

      But yes, Duchess wears a tiara. We are her loyal servants.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Duchess!

    I've read so much about Jones Beach over the years! I really must get there some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jones Beach is the crown jewel of the New York State Parks system. It really is beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I gave up on doing my own taxes when I inherited rental property. That was just more than I could deal with. Your cat is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I resisted looking up the difference between dolphins and porpises. I knew it was something with their noses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am super excited for baseball to actually begin, but I have been enjoying the intrasquad games anyway.
    It would be so nice to live so close to the ocean. My state is landlocked. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never saw the ocean or stepped on a beach until after I was married - probably 22 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last time I was *in* the ocean? I mean, I drive on PCH with an ocean view all the time (or I did before stay-at-home). I was just on a pier last month. But *in* the ocean, the last time was probably when I was a kid.

    Flipper was in reruns when I was a kid, but it wasn't a favorite. I would totally be watching The Outer Limits, no question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy happy joy joy, watching the Mets vs the Yankees right now, exhibition game at Citi Field

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only Ocean I've seen been Pacific. One time we were visiting my oldest son in Oregon. He let hubby and I take his car and we went over to coast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday