Music Monday

Another "your choice" week.


Thursday marks a sad anniversary.  Harry Chapin died on July 16, 1981.  He died in a car accident on the Long Island Expressway; he was on his way to Eisenhower Park, with plans to give a free concert.   My friends and I were in the park that night, waiting for the concert to begin, when we learned he had passed away.

I was fortunate to see Harry perform several times.  

The first time I saw him was in 1975, when I was still in high school. Harry performed at my school; he lived in Huntington, NY, and liked to do free concerts at local schools.  In college I  saw him perform at a fall festival in Huntington's Heckscher Park, and at a theater in Schnecctady, NY.

The stage at Eisenhower Park is known as the Harry Chapin Lakeside Theater.


And the stage in Heckscher Park, Huntington is also named for him.


So let's listen to some of Harry's music.  He was an excellent storyteller.

















And his biggest hit.






Comments

  1. I was at work when it happened, and my boss said his wife called him practically screaming about it. He ended up leaving early...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very sad night. Your boss)s wife must have been a big fan. I drive past the site of the accident frequently. So sad.

      Delete
  2. What a sad story. We only knew the songs WOLD and the Cat's Cradle, but can't remember him. Certainly a great loss🙏Thanks for the dance😸Pawkisses🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A