Music Monday

A joyous Hanukkah to all.

It's a low-key, but festive occasion, commemorating the victory of the Maccabees over  the invading Greeks. You can read all the details here.

So...the symbols of Hanukkah.  We light a menorah, one candle for each night, to remind us of the miracle of the oil -- when the Maccabees reclaimed the Temple in Jerusalem, there was only enough oil in the Temple to light the sacred lights for one day, yet miraculously the menorah burned for 8 days, long enough to process more oil. 

A dreidel (also called a sivivon) is a top with Hebrew letters.  The letters stand for the phrase "A Great Miracle Happened There".  In Israel they change it to "A Great Miracle Happened Here".  Children play a game by spinning the top.

And, speaking of oil...we eat a lot of fried foods, most notably potato pancakes (latkes) and jelly donuts (sufganiyot).

Here is some of the music of Hanukkah.

You'll like the harmonies in this a capella tune:





A little something from Carole King.



The Maccabeats like to rework pop music to fit the holiday theme:





I love this one from Six13




And let’s not forget Boys II Menorah




I just have to include Adam Sandler.  There are four different  versions of the song.  Here are parts 1 and 2.





Part 3:






Part 4:






And I will close this out with Peter, Paul and Mary.  Peter Yarrow wrote a song for the holiday, a call for social justice and for peace:





Comments

  1. Robin,

    Are you Jewish? It's great fun learning about my bloggy buds religious affiliations. Right off the top of my head I think we have 2 other 4M members who are Jewish. Joyce Lanksy introduced me to the Maccabeats a few years ago. They impressed me with their talent on the first listen and just today Alana shared Six13 which totally awed me with their beautiful harmonizing vocals.The skit of Boys II Menorah was great and I can't help but smile every time Adam Sandler sings one of his song creations but I had no idea that his Hanukkah song had more than one part. :) We all pray for peace but unfortunately, we'll never know true peace in this world.

    Here's the season of light. In effect, we Christians also have a festival of light when as celebrate the Light of the world's birth. Thanks for sharing your Hanukkah song choices on the 4M dance floor. Happy Holiday and may God bless you in the coming new year, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the sky blue? Do bears live in the woods? Is Robin Jewish?

    Thank you for your Hanukkah greetings, Cathy. May you have a merry Christmas, and may this world learn to live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandler cracks me up, smiles. Thank you for explaining, I had no idea what Hanukkah meant. I grew up though eating Latkes, I'm Croatian and its neat to see folks cultures intermingle with each other, smiles. Oh and I love jelly doughnuts, smiles...I am firm believer if folks just respect and love one another unconditionally we can accomplish great things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Linda!

    "Jewish" food is really the food of the region where Jewish families settled. So many of us have our roots in Eastern Europe, so our traditional foods are similar to what you find in Russia, Poland, etc. Drew's mother's family is Sephardic, they spoke Judeo-Spanish and ate foods like stuffed grape leaves, spinach pie made with phyllo, feta cheese, felafel...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed you Hanukkah,music,I salute all who believe in different paths! as for us we say Celestine and i wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!šŸŽ„šŸŽ„šŸŽ„ šŸŽšŸŽšŸŽšŸŽ…šŸŽ…šŸŽ…
    • ★ Merry ★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
    •。★ Christmas 。* 。
    ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Ī _____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| ē”°ē”° |門| ˚And a Happy New Year
    * Joy to all! ♫•*¨* Peace on Earth ♪♫•*¨*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be smiling all day. What a day; I got to listen to the four Adam Sandler Hanukkah songs today. But they don't hold a candle (sorry) to "A Week and a Day", which is hereby declared one of my favorite Hanukkah videos of all. It was hysterical! One of my aunts married a Sephardic Jew, but I never had the pleasure of spending Hanukkah with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Hanukkah (or is it Chanukah?)!

    I bought a copy of "Candlelight" a few years ago. Great song! All of these are good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, it’s either. When you transliterate from Hebrew you have options.

    Glad you’re smiling, Alana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Chanukah to you and your family. Very nice songs

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is all interestin. I was in store and the checker wish me a happy holiday and not sure of store policy.
    I wish him a Happy Yule and he then Wish me a Happy Hanukah. Then I said I pro celebration. He laughed

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song. Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A