Saturday 9

 

Diana

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions.
Saturday 9: Diana (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Legend has it that Paul Anka wrote this song about his favorite babysitter. In your younger days, did you make a little extra money as a sitter?

Yes.  

2) Paul sings he doesn't care what "they" say about his love for an older girl. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that your friends or family didn't approve of?

I almost married him, but thankfully came to my senses.

3) Paul was once a choirboy, singing with the St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral choir in Ontario. Have you ever performed with your church choir?

I’m Jewish, I don’t have a church.  And no, I didn’t sing with the synagogue choir.  But I did sing in the school chorus in junior high. I’m an alto, so I loved it when we did Karen Carpenter songs and I finally got to sing the melody.

4) When Paul was 15, he left Ontario to find fame and fortune in New York. He had $100 in his pocket, a gift from his uncle. Tell us about someone in your life who who believed in you and encouraged you.

My parents.

5) Paul seldom gets credit for one of his most familiar compositions: the theme to The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Since Johnny retired in 1992, The Tonight Show has been hosted by Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, and Jimmy Fallon. Which of these Tonight Showhosts is your favorite?

There’s no one quite like Johnny Carson.  Though I really liked Jay Leno.

6) In 1978, Paul Anka hired Las Vegas' first female bartender for his restaurant, Jubilation. Where did you most recently dine out?

I’m writing this on Wednesday night.  Our plan is to see a Mets game Friday night, and we’re going to eat at Citi Field.  Given how the Mets are playing this year, the food will be the highlight of the evening …

They even have a gluten-free food stand.  Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve had fried chicken tenders?  

7) In 1957, when "Diana" was a hit, Wham-O began producing Frisbees. The toy was a massive success, even outselling the hula hoop. Do you enjoy tossing a Frisbee? 

I used to like it. Not anymore.

8) Also in 1957, the book Peyton Place was made into a blockbuster film. Book lovers often say that, no matter what, the movie is never as good as the book. Do you think that's true?

No.  Though I really loved the book, the movie version of Jaws exceeded expectations.

9) Random question: This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?

Caramel corn, please.
  


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!


Comments

  1. I have an uncle who was a Guts Frisbee champion. Don't ask me to explain...

    Is the Tonight Show still on since Jay Leno left? Conan is hilarious, but I never saw him as the Tonight Show host. Still, they should have just gone ahead and taken it off the schedule when Johnny left.

    Caramel corn for me, too, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Jaws was a better movie than book. I always use The Godfather as my example, but Jaws works, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like the same popcorn. I never read Jaws. The movie was great. We went to Universal Studios back in the 70's and we saw how the shark moved with a conveyer like system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoyed the food at the game. Some of the stadiums really have some wonderful food stands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed your baseball game and the good food too! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never could throw Frisbees well enough for anyone to want to play with me! My dog has one, and he doesn't mind running for it. Oh, boy... #2. My parents were right, 25 IS too old for a 17 year old just starting senior year in high school. Didn't think so then of course. And for those who wonder what a 25 year old sees in a 17 year old, back then 17 year olds were more mature. Really, some were getting engaged, I married (not the 25 year old) the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a fan of frisbees since I got hit in the nose with one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even know Jaws was a book. I will have to look for it. I wish my parents had supported me. Who knows how I might have turned out if they had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I babysat once. I was terrible. Although, what I do now could be considered babysitting... I'll pass on the popcorn. (Popcorn does not agree with me, no matter the flavor.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say, Most people I hung around my maternal family didn't approve of.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #5 I didn’t watch Johnny back then but now in reruns it is at 9.
    #6 I don’t usually listen to the sports part of the news but last night the Mets game caught my attention 21 – 3 when they were joking that it was more like a football score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mets are complete demoralized. They’ve lost three games to Atlanta, including the 21-3 game Saturday afternoon. It’s tough to be a Mets fan right now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday