Music Monday

 I've had to post far too many tributes lately.  We lost another icon last week when Ronnie Specter passed away.

Ronnie, her sister and her cousin formed a group they called the Ronettes.  The Ronettes were part of Phil Spector's Wall of Sound; Ronnie and Phil  were married, then divorced. (We won't mention what happened to Phil ... ) She also had a solo career.  

Tight skirts, lots of mascara …Ronnie was cool.

I saw her perform once, at the old World Trade Center during the 90's.  Radio stations would sponsor free lunchtime concerts on the plaza...CBS-FM would present "oldies" acts, including Ronnie.

Here are some of her best songs.


Be My Baby


  

Walking in the Rain


  

Baby I Love You



  

I love her cover of this Billy Joel song. He wrote it in her honor, with "Be My Baby" in mind.  


  

Brian Wilson wrote this one for the Ronettes, as a response to "Be My Baby", but wound up recording it with the Beach Boys.  Ronnie later covered it.




And just like Ronnie said...


  



Comments

  1. I enjoyed your post tonight and the music too! How neat that you got to see her in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, just like Ronnie said. Great minds, great set! I never knew the backstory of "Don't Worry Baby" until researching my post. Didn't use it but I should have. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,

    I hadn't heard the news of Ronnie's passing. I sure do appreciate the musical tribute and how cool you got to see her in concert. That's awesome! Darlene Love was with the Ronnettes, right?

    Thanks for joining the 4M crew on the dance floor, my dear. Stay safe, be well, and keep warm! Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene Love was the Crystals. Both groups appear on the famous Phil Spector Christmas album.

      Delete
  4. A very nice tribute here. Super cool that you got see her in concert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday