Wednesday Medley



Terri's  questions this week honor Mother's Day. 

My mom is 86 years old, and I am lucky to have her.





1. Where did your mom grow up? 

My mom is a Bronx girl. She lived in various parts of that borough from the time she was born until she married my dad and moved to the suburbs of Long Island.  

2. Tell us about her siblings, if she has/had any. Did you have a favorite aunt or uncle?


My mom was the oldest of three sisters.  Both aunts are now deceased.  One aunt was widowed young, no kids.  The other was twice divorced, no kids.  Both aunts wound up living with my elderly grandmother.  The three of them spent a lot of time at my parents' house.  

3. What is ONE of your favorite memories you can share with us of your mom?


My mother loves to sing, but she always mangles the lyrics.  She enjoys it, though.  

I have a very clear memory of her from when I was a child, singing Harry Belafonte's "Jamaica Farewell". 

4. Please share a picture or two of your mom with us.


My mom and dad.  This was taken at my cousin's bar mitzvah, about 3-4 years before my dad passed away.



5. Let's not leave out the grandmothers. Share what you will.

My paternal grandmother died before I was born.  But my mother's mother lived well into her 90's, and was always a part of my life.  She loved to tell you the stories of her life.  She'd tell those stories over and over and over again.  I often felt bored or frustrated when she'd tell the stories AGAIN.

Funny how much I miss those stories now, isn't it?

6. Do you have any special plans for Mother's Day? 


Dinner at Mom's house.  My sisters are cooking.

Comments

  1. This was enjoyable to read. A really lovely theme for the Medley this week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not allowed to share my favorite mom story. It makes her so mad. All I have to say is "smells like the ocean" to tick her off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Funny how much I miss those stories now, isn't it?" Not funny at all. I think we have all felt that. I really enjoyed your photos and your stories! Thanks for sharing and thanks for joining the Medley!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday