Asteroid!

I am fascinated by astronomy.  I wish I'd taken better advantage of the planetarium at my high school -- I used to visit the planetarium with y class when I was in elementary school, but by the time I got to high school I was more interested in other things.  some day, when I have the time, I'd kike to study astronomy again.

A friend of mine from high school is an amateur astronomer, and I am sure that tonight he'll have his telescope out.  

You see, there's a very interesting phenomenon in the sky tonight.

A mile-wide asteroid with its own moon is passing by the Earth.  The European Space Agency says it will be 3,219,961 miles (5,182,024 km) away -- more than 13 times the distance between the Earth and the Moon.  For an asteroid, that's pretty close.

Sigh.  I need a telescope.

Comments

  1. I thought, for us, it was going to pass about 7:05 pm. Plus, here in Binghamton, it's pretty cloudy. So you had an observatory in your high school? I did, also but it was broken during the time I went there. I did take an astronomy course in my final semester of high school (when we were permitted electives) and I loved it. Absolutely loved it, but never followed up as an adult. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had dreams of becoming an astronomer. Alas, my physics grades in college weren't good enough to get me into a masters program. Still fascinating stuff, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A