Kiss Me, Kate

This year the Tony Awards will be handed out on June 9.  There are just two nominees in the category "Best Revival of a Musical", and I've seen them both.  I've already told you about the Circle in the Square production of Oklahoma!, so now let me tell you about Kiss Me, Kate, currently playing at the Roundabout Theatre  Company's Studio 54. (Yes, THAT Studio 54.)

Kiss Me, Kate was Cole Porter's first integrated musical.It tells the story of Fred Graham and his ex wife, film star Lilli Vanessi, who is appearing with him in a musical version of Shakepeare's Taming of the Shrew. It's based in part on the famed acting couple Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, who were known to have epic battles backstage.

This  production is traditionally staged, with a full orchestra and chorus, beautiful costumes, etc.  There's been some tweaking to remove sexist references that were acceptable in 1948 but are no longer OK in 2019 (e.g., Fred no longer spanks Lilli). I knew where the "tweaks" were because I'd seen the 1999 production starring Brian Stokes Mitchell.  But unlike, lets say, Oklahoma! (where the director chose to change the meaning of the play by changing the ending), this production of Kate is pretty faithful to the original.

And it is spectacular.  A great evening of theatre.

I have always liked Kelli O'Hara.  I think she's a great actress.  I hope she wins the Tony for her role as Lilli.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A