X-Men: Days of Future Past

When we saw the trailer for this movie, Drew got all excited. He loves the X-Men series, and predicted "Days of a Future Past" would be one of this summer's real blockbusters.

And then I said "I have never seen any of the X-Men movies."

He looked at me as if I'd grown another head.

None of the X-Men films are stand-alone sequels, each builds on the previous movie.


Well, I really like Stan Lee's other creation, "Spider-Man". He was always cool. And, of course, there's "The Avengers". You know, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America. Great stuff.


So I binge-watched all of the X-Men movies. And other than a nightmare where Wolverine was singing "Bring Him Home", I actually enjoyed the series.

The new movie is a worthy addition. We saw it in RPX 3D, so the special effects were dazzling. But the movie is good even without the 3D effects. Wolverine is sent back in time to 1973, in the hope he can alter the future. Simple science fiction plot, but done very well here. (And as you know, I have a fondness for the 70's.). Lots of action, many occasions for the superheroes to use their powers, as you would expect in this genre.

But what really captures me is the overriding theme of the X-Men saga.the mutants are an analogy for the Jewish people. It's no coincidence that Erik/Magnito is a Holocaust survivor who was the subject of Nazi experiments. The mutants are both envied and feared, ostracized, subjected to scientific experimentation, threatened with annihilation. The debates between Erik and Charles Xavier are about morals and ethics -- do we fight back, get them before they get us, or do we try to integrate into the larger society, try to create peaceful coexistence?

Yes, definitely a movie -- or rather, movie series -- worth watching.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday