Saturday 9

 

Minute by Minute

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Minute by Minute (1979)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) It's easier to keep track of the minutes if your timepiece has a second hand. As you answer these questions, are you wearing a watch or can you see a clock that has a second hand? 

Analogue?  Really?  I live in a digital world, clocks do not have hands …

2) In this song, Michael McDonald admits he knows his girl has lied to him. Do you suspect any one of your friends/family has fibbed to you recently?

I have my suspicions but no proof, so I won’t make any accusations…

3) McDonald's big break came in 1973 when he joined Steely Dan's touring band. What do you consider your first professional success?

As an undergrad I had a full time internship in the state legislature.  I got to work with an attorney and I learned a lot of practical information about the law and lawmaking.  It was a very solid start to my career.

4) In 1975 he joined The Doobie Brothers. He was originally supposed to be a temporary replacement for Tom Johnston, but he ended up working with the band uninterrupted for seven years. Tell us about something that's happened to you that turned out better than you anticipated.

I started my current job in March 2020.  The day I was onboarded was the day the company sent everyone home to work remotely because of the  pandemic, so my first experience with the company was very shaky.  But now I’m loving it.

5) In 1986 he guest starred on an episode of The Young and The Restless. Have you ever been hooked on a daytime drama?


My name is Victoria Winters.  For the first time since I have come to live at Collinwood, I am away from the gloomy mansion I now call home. Waiting to see a man who may be able to help me in my search for my identity.



6) Michael and wife Amy raised their family near Nashville, where they had their own pond and a garden they lovingly tended. Do you enjoy yard work?

No.

7) In 1979, when "Minute by Minute" was popular, movie star John Wayne died. In 2004, the US Postal Service honored him with a stamp. What was in the last envelope you stamped and dropped in a mailbox?

We just mailed a bunch of greeting cards for Rosh Hashanah.

8) In 1979, the most popular new car was the Oldsmobile Cutlass. Ads promised drivers the Cutlass could make it easy to get in and out of tight parking spots. Are you good at parallel parking?

My dad had a Cutlass.  He gave it to me when I was in law school. By then the car was over 10 years old,  I affectionately referred to that car as “the rust bucket”.

I used to be ok at parallel parking when I lived in Brooklyn and Queens.  But I’ve been a suburban girl since the 90’s, so I haven’t had to parallel park often and my skill has deteriorated.  

My younger daughter lives in Manhattan. If I’m lucky enough to find parking on her street my older daughter parks my car for me,

9) Random question: Did you know your great-grandparents?

No.  

My grandparents were all immigrants to this country.  My paternal grandparents came here from Ukraine.  My maternal grandfather was from a city in what was then Russia and is now Poland,  my maternal grandmother came from a region that was then part of Austria-Hungary and is now part of Poland.  All four came here as adults.

The only member of my great-grandparents’ generation who came to this country was my maternal grandmother’s father, and he died when my mother was a baby.  His wife refused to come to America (she was slightly disabled and feared she would not be allowed to enter) and was killed in the Holocaust.  

I have no idea what happened to any of my other great grandparents.  I know that my father corresponded with relatives in Ukraine until the Cold War made that impossible, but other than that …




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 


Comments

  1. I am sorry you lost your great grandmother in the Holocaust. I just read about card greeting for Rosh Hashanah. I am introducing my Bible journaling group to the fall celebrations. Do you cook anything special?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Rosh Hashanah we dip apples in honey for a sweet new year, and we use a round challah to symbolize eternal life. There’s no specific food required for the holiday meals. My menu usually includes chicken soup with matzo balls, gefilte fish, and either brisket in gravy or a turkey. A lot of people make a honey cake for dessert, or teiglach https://reformjudaism.org/reform-jewish-life/food-recipes/teiglach

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. There is a place in Los Angeles we have eaten at called Canters Deli that has the vest soup. I looked online and there is a Kosher Deli about 25 miles from me that I might visit. Maybe they will have the round challah. I plan to get some fresh honey from the farmer market. A friend is giving me pomegranates and I will get some apples which are in season.

      Delete
  2. I adored Dark Shadows. I think I had a girl crush on Victoria Winters and another crush on Barnabas Collins. It is cheesy now if you watch it, but back then that show was terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 Ditto.
    #3 Where I interned I got to work with many legislators and many of my classmate were interns with them. When I was in a meeting with our House representative it was like a class reunion so many of them were UConn School of Social Work interns. Sadly the legislator we worked with just announced he is not running for re-election.
    #8 So did I, a 442.
    #9 I am on the Governor’s Advisor Council on Hate Crimes and we had a guest speaker.
    A rabbi who also survived the Holocaust. The Nazis came to his town and killed his parents and they were looking for children without parents to kill. He saw a woman standing there with three children and he plead to say he was their child which she did. They survived the concentration camps and the slave labor. He finished his talk with… he met her children a couple of years ago. Their mother passed away a couple of years after being freed. They came to America because like him they had relatives here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad that your great-grandmother didn't come along with her husband. I would like to think she'd have been granted entry no matter what, but especially with all that was going on in Europe. It's so scary to me that there are already those who don't believe the Holocaust happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They always come up with so many interesting questions for these things. I saw the remake of Dark Shadows but never the original. Maybe I'll hunt it down someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh--Dark Shadows! I used to sneak to watch it because my older sisters could watch it but my parents thought it was too mature for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you ever commute? Chicago's biggest commuter train stations both have massive analog clocks and they are GORGEOUS! Accurate, too. I'd hate to lose them. That would not be progress.

    What a sobering but important story about your great grandparents. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!