Leap Day!

A bonus post for a "bonus" day....

February 29.  It happens once every four year.

Ever wonder how people born on February 29 celebrate their birthday?

It was a plot point in Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance.  Our hero, Frederic, is apprenticed to a pirate until his 21st birthday.  Poor Frederic, however, was born on February 29, and though he's lived 21 years, he has not celebrated 21 birthdays....

The musical was adapted into a film in 1983, starring Kevin KlineAngela LansburyLinda RonstadtGeorge Rose, and Rex Smith.


Here's the song where they describe Frederic's "problem":






And a few more highlights from the movie.




















Comments

  1. Ha, I have always been confused by Leap Day...which is nothing new (being confused, LOL). Have a great day friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my father's big old record.. not the vinyl one but the old thick heavy kind that I would listen to of Gilbert and Sullivan. I sat up in the attic playing it over and over again. Good memories. I think it was actually a 78rmp record. Back in the dark ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Roman times, the leap day was inserted between the 24th and 25th. (I read this in a book years ago.) So, an argument can be made that those born on Feb. 25th in leap years lose their birthday, and those born on the 29th get to celebrate on the 28th.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday