Music Monday

So when you travel on the NYC Subway, you’re going to see a variety of performances by street musicians.  I’ve seen singers, guitar players, steel drum players, sax players ...

On Wednesday, as I was walking through the Atlantic Avenue station, I heard the sweet sound of a violin.   I was drawn in, the violinist was playing an old favorite of mine ...

The musician was an older gentleman, dressed in a tux despite the mid afternoon heat.   My plan was to listen for awhile, and if I liked the performance, I’d put $1 into the hat that sat at his feet.

But as soon as I stopped to listen to the music, his very aggressive wife approached me and tried to sell me a CD.  Now, many of the street performers have CD’s to sell, but they never get pushy about it.

I smiled, put money into the hat, and moved to a different vantage point.

She followed me.

So I left.

Sad, because I would have enjoyed listening for just a short while longer.

He was there again on Thursday, alone.  But he’d already finished playing, and packing up his equipment.

He was playing again on Friday, but his wife was there, so I just kept walking.

Want to hear the song that drew me in?

Here it is, by one of my favorite performers.



Comments

  1. That is one of my favorites too! My Mom loved Andre Rieu. So do I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    Beautiful song. It must be nice to hear street purrformers such as your featured YT video. Did you happen to speak the violist on the day he was packing up on Friday? I'm sure he would love to know how much he moved you previously. The wife I'm sure means well but you have to know when to step back and let people come to you. Wouldn't that be considered soliciting to have someone push the sale of a CD or are street purrformers required to have a permit to collect money from sells? I guess regardless of the answer, the wife shouldn't be overly assertive. Ask once then put a zipper on the lips. :) Thanks for hitting the 4M dance floor, my dear. Have a safe & happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, NYC street performers do not need a permit. But for choice spots inside the subway and train stations, performers sign up for time slots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We in the NYC area are spoiled by some of the wonderful street musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful song to begin with, hearing it on the violin is so much better. It's a shame what happened. I think Cathy has some good advice. As someone who sporadically visits New York City, I've heard a handful of musical performances, all high quality. So, they sign up for time slots for choice spots - and I would think Atlantic Avenue would be one of those choice spots. I was in that station on Christmas Eve, but no musicians to be found. Alas! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are the details. https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/06/auditioning-not-for-broadway-but-the-subway/562073/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A