Baseball

 Yeah, I’m a bit obsessed.


But today isn’t about my beloved Mets.


I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that other NYC team.


Yeah, the Yankees are also having a phenomenal season.  They lead their division.  They haven’t clinched yet, but it’s almost certain they will have a berth in the post season.  


Echoes of the year 2000?  Remember, that was when the World Series was played entirely in NYC.  Then-Mayor Giuliani was beside himself with glee, dividing his time between the old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx and Shea Stadium in Queens.   We called it the Subway Series, because you could take the #7 train to Shea or the #4 up to the Bronx.

I bought a t shirt for my father.  It looked something like this.

  


Well, we will find out in the coming weeks if we will see a repeat performance.  I would love an all-NYC World Series.

 It the Yankees have a more immediate reason to celebrate:  Aaron Judge.

Last night Judge hit a home run, the 60th home run he has hit this season.  If he hits one more home run, he will tie a record set by fellow Yankee Roger Maris in 1961.  

While three player (Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire) exceeded Maris’ longstanding record in their late '90s, early 2000s slugfests, they all did so in the National League (and under a cloud of performance-enhancing drug suspicion). Maris still holds the American League record.

Judge breaking Maris’ record will be epic.  




   




Comments

  1. My husband helpfully pointed out to me that Pete Alonso has almost as many RBI's as Judge does, which is epic in its own way. If we could have a subway series with them both, that would be something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookworm: Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Oh definitely. The Polar Bear can hit! I’m psyched.

      Delete
  2. I hope you get what you wish for. (Not a baseball fan, so I have no idea if the local teams are in it this year. Things get crazy around here when they are.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re in Southern California, right? The Dodgers clinched their division,

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday