Apples Dipped in Honey

Today’s ear worm 



This version talks about all the traditions of the holiday.




Tonight begins the observance of Rosh HaShanah, the Jewish New Year.   Unlike the secular New Year, Rosh HaShanah is a solemn, contemplative holiday, part of the High Holy Days, observed with prayer and introspection.

On Rosh HaShanah it is written, on Yom Kippur it is sealed.

We are taught that on Rosh HaShanah, G-d determines who shall live another year, and who  shall die before the year is out. What fate awaits each of us in the coming year?   We ask G-d to write our names in the Book of Life and we pray that G-d preserves us in life for another year.  On Yom Kippur we atone for our sins through fasting and prayer.  Our fate is sealed on Yom Kippur.

Rosh HaShanah means a family feast.  It means candles on the table, and wine, and a round challah to symbolize the unending circle of life.  We dip apples in honey for a sweet new year.  We go to synagogue to hear the Shofar, a trumpet made from a ram's horn, and we wish each other L'Shanah Tovah, a good year.

But for my family …

In 2020, at the height of the pandemic, we were separated, apart.  Last year we were together, but dined on the patio because of Covid.

And this year?  We will all be at the table.  But not “all” of us.  My mother passed away last month.  Her absence will be felt …

I remember when my father died (was it really 7 years ago?).  He passed away in October, and the following spring we gathered around the Passover table.  And as we read the Haggadah, the prayer book that tells the ancient story, each of us remembered how my father used to lead the Seder, and each of us heard his voice … my sister cried …

It is bittersweet.  My parents are gone.  Our holidays will never be the same as they were in my younger days.  And yet, I hear my father’s voice.  I hear my mother’s voice.  And I know that they are with me,


May the new year bring us peace.  May it be a sweet year filled with joy. L’Shanah Tovah.


Comments

  1. May the New Year bring much sweetness and joy to you, as you keep your parents in your memory for always. It's a bittersweet time but I hope there will be room in your heart for joy at some point, too, as you think of the good times you had with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. A bittersweet holiday for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday