Hope springs eternal

It's Opening Day at Citifield, Thor is on the mound, and all is right with the world.  Let's Go Mets!

On Opening Day, everyone believes their team is a contender for the World Series.  it's a long, long way to October, but right now, when the season is bright and shiny and new, we can all have our dreams.

The Long Island Ducks, our local independent league team, don't begin their season until the end of April, but Drew is already looking at their schedule and choosing our seats for the games we want to see. 

I am that rare Mets fan who also likes the NY Yankees.  I come by it honestly, my mom was raised in the Bronx.  

My late father was a Brooklyn boy, born in the shadow of Ebbets Field, a loyal Dodgers fan, but for his first official date with my mom, they went to Yankee Stadium to see DiMaggio play.  He must have really wanted to impress her, to venture into enemy territory like that.  (They were married on March 29, 1959, 59 years ago today.)

Despite having spent their early years  just a stone's throw from the late Shea Stadium,  my daughters are Yankees fans -- it kills their father when he sees them rooting for that team.

Yes, it's spring...

Comments

  1. Happy anniversary to your parents (posthumously).

    In my area we've got the Dodgers fans or the Angels fans. But it's not quite the rivalry of the Yankees vs Mets fans.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday