Saturday 9

 

This Could Be the Start of Something

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 
questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to 
answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: This Could Be the Start of Something (1959)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Welcome to the first Saturday 9 on 2024.
 
 

1) We're beginning the year with an optimistic song about starting something new. Right now, are you feeling positive about 2024?

There are some good things happening this year, and also some scary things.  Overall I’m optimistic.
 
2) In this song, Jack Jones sings that because he's on a diet he declines a rich dessert. Are you trying to lose a few pounds after the holidays?

I weighed the same on January 1st as I did on December 1st.  No holiday weight gain this year because I stuck to my diet.  I’ve been following this weight loss plan since April 2022,  I have lost a lot but still have more to lose.

3) The specific dessert referred to is a Charlotte Russe, a cake made with custard, fruit, cream, whiskey and gelatin. Preparation sounds like a great deal of work! What's the most recent dish you whipped up in your kitchen?

To New Yorkers a Charlotte Russe isn’t the fancy cake you described, it’s a treat you got at the candy store or the bakery, NYC Charlotte Russe.  


As for what got whipped up in my kitchen … I just baked some corn muffins.


4) The lyrics contrast dining at Sardi's in New York with sunbathing in Malibu. Do you enjoy nightlife or are you more outdoorsy?

Well, I’ve eaten at Sardi’s, though it isn’t one of my Theater District favorites.  I’ve never been to Malibu, but I’ve been known to spend a lot of time at Jones Beach.  I guess there’s room in my life for both types of activity. 

5) This week's song was written by Steve Allen. While best known for his work on TV (he was the first host of The Tonight Show), he was also a composer who felt most creative at the piano. When do you feel most creative?

When I’m writing on my iPad 
 
6) This week's artist, Jack Jones, won a pair of Grammy Awards and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Yet he's probably best known for singing the song that welcomed travelers aboard The Love Boat every week. What TV theme song can you sing along with?

Far too many.  I watch too much TV.  This one popped into my head just now,



 
7) In 1959, when this song was popular, "continuing dramas" (aka soap operas) like Young Dr. Malone and Ma Perkins were broadcast daily on the radio. When you turn on the radio, do you listen for news, talk or music?

Mostly music.

8) Now let's turn the calendar and our attention from 1959 to 2024. Is there a skill you're looking forward to learning, or improving, this year?

I started….or rather, re-started…yoga.  I’d like to improve my flexibility.

9) Have you purchased anything on impulse yet this year?

No.  But I’m sure there will be something soon.



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 


Comments

  1. So far so good for me not purchase on whim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done impulse shopping, but I have the rest of the year to do so. I tend to put things in my cart that I like. Then I decide what I really need and end up putting many things back. I just realized the cardstock I bought was the wrong weight. Now I have to return it to Walmart. I don't have an iPad, but I see my granddaughter using a pen with hers. She wants to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just completed my first year of doing yoga and am surprised by what a big difference it has made. Hope you experience good things, too. I checked out your Charlotte Russe link and wonder why, if it's so popular, more bakeries don't continue to offer it. It looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I got started listing theme songs, I understood why I can't remember why I went into the next room. My head is full of those songs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many theme songs in my head it is crazy. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Gilligan's Island is the choice for a lot of us of a certain age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job sticking to your diet through the holidays! That's a tough thing to do. Oh, and since you threw out the Gilligan's Island theme song I'm going to have to add songs from the 60's to the list of ones I know word for word. (Too much TV here back in the day.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was me (Stacy from A Mile in My Shoes). I got signed out somehow.

      Delete
  8. My impulse shopping website closed just before Christmas. I'm so sad. I got so many nice things from them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #3 Mmm… it looks delicious!
    #4 I’ve been to Fair Harbor a number of times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday