The Miracle Mets

Today at Citi Field, they held a ceremony honoring the World Series champions, the 1969 Mets. I watched it on TV.  Wish I could have gone.

The team invited all the players, or their families, to join in the celebration.  On the field today were Cleon Jones, Bud Harrelson, Jerry Koosman, Jerry Grote, Ed Kranepool...

Some of Tug McGraw’s children were there, but his most famous son was not.

Noticeably absent was Tom Seaver.  Seaver is too ill for public appearances.  He was represented by numerous family members, including grandsons who wore his number 41 as they threw out the ceremonial first pitch.  Seaver, a/k/a “the franchise” received an incredible honor.  126th Street has been renamed Seaver Way, and the address for Citi Field is now 41 Seaver Way.

To watch my childhood heroes being honored by the fans, and by the current team ...

Yes, I shed a few tears...

Comments

  1. I hadn't heard that Tom Seaver was ill. He won #300 with the White Sox in '85, so I'm a fan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much happened in 1969 that we're now celebrating 50th anniversaries of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was a very important year. The miracle Mets, Woodstock, the moon walk ...I was 9 years old. A lifetime ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday