binge watching!

I am old enough to remember when there were only three networks on TV (four if you counted PBS).  Here in New York we also has three local channels.  So, seven channels in all.   I remember when the newest trend in television was color TV, how all the shows seemed to switch from black and white to color  in an instant.  And if you weren't home when a show was on, you missed it.  It would be rerun in a few months, if you were lucky; if not, you'd never get a chance to see it.

The myriad of channels offered today, the opportunity to record a show to watch later,  or to watch a show on demand, or to purchase an entire series on DVD, that was unimaginable  back then.    Binge watching was something we'd never be able to imagine.

But I embrace modernity.  I have been known to engage in binge-watching, that activity when you view an entire season of a TV show in a short time.

My first binge was Game of Thrones.  Somehow I'd missed the first few seasons, and  as the hype began to build...well, I'm all caught up now, and waiting for the final season to arrive next year. 

More recently I binged on Grimm.   This show was part of my Friday nigth ritual starting in 2013, and I never missed an episode.  but I'd missed most of the first two seasons of the show, and wanted to see how things had come together.  After I caught up on the missing seasons, I just kept going. 

Right now I'm binging...well, semi-binging...on the Chris Eccleston episodes of Dr. Who.  I didn't really start watching this show until Matt smith became The Doctor.  I have seen every episode with Peter Capaldi.  And I'm looking forward to the upcomign season with Jodi Whittaker.  But I need to catch up on my history, so I'll watch Eccleston, then David Tnenant, then the Matt Smith episodes I didn't see...

And if I still have the interest, and the energy, I'll give the classic episodes -- the ones from  1963-1989 -- a try.

So, what are you binge watching?


/

Comments

  1. Not much of TV watcher but I do like Dr Who
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't binge a series, unless it counts to watch an episode a night. In that case, I just binged Mr. Robot right after catching up on Once Upon a Time. I had collected them on my DVR until I could get to them.

    Eccleston was there such a short time (just that first season). Then Tennent when you get to Donna... heartbreaking... (I lucked out and got in right when they rebooted, so I'm up to date.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently binge watched The Crown. I am going to binge on Victoria when the current season ends. Living in Detroit we also got to watch the Windsor channel CKLW. It is where I saw all the old movies from the 1940's and 50's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday