NaBloPoMo prompt: What was the first thing you ever learned how to cook?

The kitchen was never my mother's "happy place".  She was a decent cook, but she did it out of necessity, not enjoyment.  She was very happy to relinquish that task to my father after he retired, he truly enjoyed being in the kitchen.

Of course my sisters and I learned how to cook.  You have to be able to provide for yourself, and if you can derive some enjoyment from it ...

I'm not sure what was the first thing I ever cooked, but I think it was eggs.  Don't remember if it was scrambled eggs or sunny side up.    Both are fairly easy, after all.  Very hard for a young teenager to ruin.  Hard boiled are easy enough, too.

After that, it was pasta.  My mother served a lot of spaghetti, it's easy to cook and feeds a small crowd.   You make a simple meat sauce and you've got a meal. 

And that simple meat sauce is similar to chili, which you can serve over rice.  Another crowd pleaser.

And when you have a gas grill, hot dogs and hamburgers are very easy.

And if you're bored with burgers, make a meatloaf instead...

And before long, you have a teenager who can take care of herself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday